PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Non-Traditional' Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2019, 20:47
KBW10101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a flying badge

Originally Posted by Chugalug2
DS, could you spell out for me the significance of "A ground trade with an airborne role"? What does that mean? What ground trade do they practice? It seems to me all this is a way of having cabin crew who aren't really aircrew. Well I'm afraid that they are, and if the tick boxes require that RAF aircrew attend OASC, complete MAGS, and have more than 3 weeks training for Voyager CC (sounds like a good idea!) then so be it. While that is being tweaked, perhaps the requirement for RAF aircrew to be SNCOs/WOs/Commissioned Officers might be looked at again, so that CC can be aircrew with junior ranks, if Sgt stripes are a chevron too far. I certainly don't have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is this concept that they are crew but not aircrew. They are aircrew, and I don't think that the MAA will be changing their mind about that anytime soon.

I agree that pax know they are to carry out all crew instructions, the issue rather for RAF CCs is with the patronising attitudes expressed by their fellow aircrew as within this very thread. They are not there to feed and water you (though no doubt will willingly do so). They are there to save your life, and in doing so will no doubt risk theirs. You should get away swiftly from the foot of the slide (unless instructed otherwise). They stay behind onboard until every other pax is accounted for.

Time now for the RAF to acknowledge unambiguously that its cabin crew are indeed aircrew and award them an aircrew brevet accordingly!

Im sure the RAF Would he happy to award them a brevet,

1. Once they have the requisite qualifications ( academically) equal to non commissioned aircrew at present or an equivalent entry standard to aircrew branches.

2. Attend OASC ( like all other non commissioned aircrew do )

3. Pass a CFS accredited flying course to be awarded a flying Badge IAW with QR206 ( like all other non communised aircrew do)

The “awarding” of a brevet retrospectively would have zero merit. Im sure the MAA could try and persuade 22 group and the Central Flying School otherwise but all it would do is de- Value the existing cadre of aircrew brevets if awarded for doing merely nothing.