PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliner intercept for training?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2019, 08:06
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Dave

I flew DC9s at the time for the Swiss over that route. The airline was run by predominately military pilots with very close links to Nato fighter colleagues and our security department shortly afterwards condoned our continued flying over the region knowing what actually happened having assessed the risk.
International press had at one time stated that Ghadaffi had been involved as wreckage from a Libyan Mig was discovered in Italy.
I had a french mate who had flown off a yank carrier in the Med who knew the inside story, he sadly died flying his motorglider in the Alps a few years ago. It was only at his funeral that I discovered his relatively senior rank.
Re conspiracy theories watch bbc i player https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008c47 you will note that the collusion of the secret services in the last two programs and the lack mentioning the bombing campaign against BEA. One aircraft diverted to Manchester with a bomb under a pax seat cushion. There was a file on it which I tried to get release on around 2014 but was frozen for 40 years. After the freezing period expired I recontacted the department that held it who eventually replied that it didnt exist. There was a reference to it in the national archive at Kew.

Last edited by blind pew; 31st Oct 2019 at 08:30. Reason: Added BBC program and reference to BEA