PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2019, 14:01
flyingmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yap800
What type of engineering at what company? I know some Senior/Project civil engineers at top contractors earn from £45-65k whereas I thought 737 and 320 captains get £70- 90k? at most airlines.

Those engineers work from 7am to 7pm on a 5 on 2 off pattern sometimes 6 on 1 off. So thats 60+hr weeks
I suppose at least they have a regular wake up/ sleep pattern so maybe it cant be compared?

And software engineers at IBM average around 40k (on glassdoor) and software engineers at goldman sachs average £65k

By comparison to other industies do you mean doctors or lawyers, and financial services where the work is very competitive to get a foot in also? I don't really think there are any easy options at that kind of pay level.

(Sorry for helping to derail the thread it wasn't supposed to be sidetracked to about pay, but thank you for contributing )
I don't know what jobs are like in the UK (from the £ sign in your post) I can say from experience that that a large portion of IT security & IT engineering jobs in Ireland (for example) with the likes of social media companies and computer hardware manufacturers are over the 100K a year mark (maybe just under in £).
I do not have any banking / financial services / medical profession friends so I am not sure exactly what the pay packages are like there. The more unstable the job usually the more the monthly pay is, just like aviation.

The point I was trying to make is that the huge investment needed to get into aviation does not justify the pay for those people who want to get into flying for the monitory side of the job. Someone can spend less money to earn a similar or more money, especially in the USA where the good money is really only in the big carriers and a very unstable market underneath the major airlines. Not to mention sometimes crazy working patterns and very long commutes to work (5hrs +)

For the aviation engineering side of things you mentioned quite a stable roster for some friends, that seems to be quite similar to friends of mine who are in comfortable jobs. There are however jobs out there without the stable roster who are on much more as contractors.

I just saw in another thread the salary for captains in Laudamotion after tax is just over the 3K a month mark. There are plenty of non - aviation jobs which would pay that or more.