PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOT Polish Airlines hiring
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2019, 11:59
Sholayo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,
Some background for broader picture. I am Polish, working for large multinational corporation. 30% of people in my workplace are expats and I know a thing about challenges they face in my country. I know also how rewarding it is to blend in and becoming local. I am proud of the latter and I will try to explain the first.

For one thing - yes, Poland is very homogenous country - typical for Central and Eastern Europe. Outside of Warsaw we have very few non-Polish people, even in Warsaw this is new. And I mean like 3-4 year new.
Result is that a lot of Poles has little idea how to interact with foreigners, especially POC. Sometimes we may be rude or simply unpleasant. I assure you however if you come close to somebody - you'll have friends for life. We are pretty honest - no one pretends to be nice. May be this is not right way but it is what it is. You ca easily tell friends from foes.
In short - be prepared for rough start in Poland, but once you settle and make friends with Poles (expats do not count) you will not be able to live elsewhere We are not necessarily 'discriminatory', we have little idea how to deal with you guys (at least most of the time this may be the reason).

Now on PLL Lot itself. Lot means 'flight" in Polish BTW.
People call it 'family business' here in Poland. Most people would rather assume to go elsewhere after flight training as is is suspected that unless you do not have family ties within - you're screwed. That counts regardless if you are a pilot, FA or even IT. I tried the latter and failed.
Not so long ago Lot had significant attrition of pilots, EK, Wizz and the likes. So right now they started to hire people "from the street". Rumor has it it is not embraced well by old hands.

So combination of both gives you unpleasant situation. Sad but true. Despite this I would sell my kidney to fly for them LHS in Dash-8

Cheers