PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Non-Traditional' Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2019, 15:15
KBW10101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOT a Flying Badge

Originally Posted by Chugalug2
cs, sounds par for the course certainly. Just remembered our 30 Sqn a/g was on Battles not the Wellesley, the first being deemed front line, the latter not in 1940. Both were totally obsolete of course by then.

Must admit I find the discussion re RAF Cabin Crew as being a ground trade rather confusing. Are they not deemed aircrew? If not, why not? They share the same awesome responsibilities as their civilian counterparts, to safely evacuate their passengers on command and within mere seconds, to cope with inflight emergencies such as explosive decompression, cabin fires, medical emergencies, etc, etc. How can those duties be considered a ground trade?

Whether the parsimonious bean counters pay them flight pay or the badge snobs deny them a brevet I'm prepared to believe the worst in both cases, but are they not an integral part of the flight crew and trained and considered as such? Does CRM not include them too, the eyes and ears of the flight deck? If not then I would expect that retention for them is a real issue, never mind those up front....

Indeed they ARE deemed aircrew (airborne role) by the MAA. - I dont think anyone has disputed that here at all.

They are not an aircrew branch, they are a trade- nor are they paid RRP (Fly) or authorised to wear a Flying Badge on the left breast as per QR206.

They are deemed aircrew by the MAA, and authorised to wear their trade qualification badge (AS , now CC) on their right upper arm as per AP1358. They are NOT authorised to wear it like a Flying Badge IAW QR206 because it is NOT one. << that fact right there can be debated IF they trade qualification gets re-branded as a Flying Badge IAW QR206. (which it hasn't).

So in summary:

1. YES the are deemed aircrew by the MAA and have completed a Cabin Crew course for on board roles, airborne roles that- of course they are deemed part of the crew and incorporate any in flight duties and crew cohesion as an equal member of the crew.

2. NO they are not authorised to wear the TRADE QUALIFICATION BADGE on the left breast (as if it were a Flying Badge IAW QR206) , as AP1358 stipulates..... it must be worn on the right upper arm. Wearing it on left breast insinuates to others it is a Flying Badge (which it is NOT). Therefore they have not qualified in the eyes of QR's to wear their trade qualification badge as if i were a Flying badge.

Ill provide some context:
If I were to walk into a Parachute Regiment HQ with Para wings on my left arm- i'd expect a redress.
If I were to wear an All Arms Commando course dagger in the incorrect place on my uniform, i'd expect a redress.
If I were to wear my beret badge upside down , i'd expect a redress.
If I were to wear my Aeromedical qualification Nurse, Nursing officer or other / Mountain rescue team / Bomb disposal team qualification badge on the left breast of my No.1 jacket, No.2 jumper, No.5 jacket or flying suit ....id expect a redress. Why should CC trade qualification badge be any different?

You can search for AP1358 Chapter 7 : Pages 23,24,25 clearly outlines what Flying Badges can be worn, and where.

Para 0719 clearly states : Cabin Crew Badge. The badge design is a pair of wings in light blue silk with a central motif of the letters 'CC'. It is to be worn on the right sleeve of No 1 SD. No 2 SD jersey and 6 SD (when issued), centrally positioned, with the top of the central motif 4" (10.2 cm) below the shoulder seam.