PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying School Owner makes AFR rich list
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2019, 02:54
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
outlandishoutlanding you're assuming only 1 out of 10 US per day? What about when they have a week or two of terrible weather in a row (annually according to climate data they have about 82days per year with over 1mm of rainfall, that's about 20%)? What about Instructors being sick and having to cancel? I'd be keen to hear from someone who has better knowledge as to what their actual Aircraft Hours Utilisation Rate is? I'm guessing around the 50-60% mark for a busy school? And besides these are all fictitious numbers pulled out as a starting point, not actual fleet numbers or student numbers for Soar.

For those who mentioned it, there is meant to be high scrutiny from the Education Department in terms of number of students that are passing in the allotted timeframes for providers who have access to VET FEE, so undoubtedly these will be getting extra scrutiny now in light of the number of people that have made reports. Either they'll find this rate is indeed abysmally low and wonder why they haven't noticed it sooner or they'll find the rate is acceptable and either that's because the rate is actually acceptable and they're doing the right thing or they're doing the wrong thing to meet that quotient. All of this is to say that whilst it is more accessible to people these days to get Government backed funding there are checks and balances that are put in place to stop people being taken in that shouldn't.

That being said I don't know what the requirement is like these days in terms of the Flight School or Provider to do interviews prior to entry to make sure they take on those that are capable. I'm pretty sure in New Zealand they're strict on it due to availability of training slots and they well should be here too to make sure that people are fully aware of what they're signing up for with such a massive debt.