PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats happening at Cathay?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2001, 00:43
cws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Sorry, another long post and on the wrong topic as well, made a mistake. This here refers to the above articles and to the scab or not to scab topic. Sorry again for my spelling attack, but again I am just here in the cafe for a quick spilling of my thoughts that come up during the day in a lose order.

What gets me is the fact that the management is ignoring an long known fact on employee relations management.
If you lose the confidence and the loyalty of your employees your business will suffer. It cannot be pressed into numbers but we all know how unhappy pilots can make a flight a loss for the company, and still be on time!
Since our strike is officaly over the company is sending us blowjobletters (6 so far) telling us how they value us, how all the bad press was a mistake lalalalalalaaa. Why ? As stated above. They need us happy and loyal and not just ok and somewhat pissed because of the bad press during the strike. They are sweating it belive me, and all because they know this simple fact, btw you learn it in economics class (Leadership, employee relations managment) you spent half a year on the motivation thing at the university.
So what does the CX mgmt think?? Have they slept through that part? Do they know something my professor didnt? (like why double your fleet when a crisis is looming overhead! Maybe somebody can shine some light on THAT decision, a friend of mine has a theory which is hottly discussed in the upper ranks here, but he doesnt share it jet with me.)
What do they think will happen with a pilot, knowing 50 where sacked on no grounds. Will he step out the line to help out the company? Will he use his personal experience gained over the years to resolve a tricky situation and risk exposure? Sure as hell no. He will sit tight and stick to the book in fear. We all know where the book takes us in remote places and the assosiated problems which need an unconvetional solution. Me jumping around the plane trying to get the slot, bribing the deicing guy with a bottle of company wine to give me a quick spray? The hell no! And thats where we really could save big bucks, just as an example. This is deliberately given up by the cx mgmnt. Why? For those peanuts you guys want in comparison to the big picture in the long run? Makes no sense! They have shaken up EVERY employee since nobody can trust his contract given to him by the company. Maybe he is next to find out he mgmnt changed his conditions of service, because the ceo wants to paint the airplanes in a different color (ref. to the quote from one of your mgmnt). Where does it stop? Whose contract is next? Excellent motivation for all employed there, and will really pay of in the long run. A scared employee is not a productive one!
I live next to a 2end level mgmnt guy, veeeery important man. We are friends now for 6 years and were able to rescue that friendship through the strike, thank god.(Although he said the strike was basically a game of give a little take a little and keep a lot, just with higher stakes. Mngmt knew it has to pay since the company has promised it years ago, they just wanted to make the cake sweeter since we fought for it!) They have weekly stragety meetings with a global watch and guess what! The cx sackings was a topic. One thing I would have never expected happend. Our boys condemmed the mgmnt. Not because of the same reasons we all would but on the grounds of trust, reliability and stability. They discussed the sackings and stated - this is all not official of course- that that managment made a grave mistake, a mistake that should not have happend to them. They base their opinion on the loyality problem and longterm costs that this action will have many years the down the road. Matter of fact our guys where quite happy about that since cx is our "enemy". One also mentioned that sacking is the utmost panic thing to do and does not show a lot of belive in the mgmnts own capabilities. Was quite interesting to see things from the otherside and enemy standpoint.
Allscabed up (who is I thing from the panic brigade of cx mgmnt) mentioned contract pilots. There is no worldwide successful operating global player airline who acived its position on contract pilots. They stuffed holes maybe short term, but never long term. You need this stable loyal employee body to keep stability for strategy planning. No Lufthansa, United etc.. has contract pilots. The scenario you put up is dreamtime. Doesnt work with contractors. Not if you want to make money at least. But a nice try. So enough its late again, and I thing I wrote all I wanted to say on the pathetic mgmnt discussion.
GOOD NIGHT . And maybe somebody comes up with a little list of names....Had a cx jump request today, granted it since it was from the groundstaff in Fra.