PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2019, 12:19
EI_DVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all those suggesting if you can't get a promotion/roster you like at one company just resign and move across and up to another like in other private industries there's one big problem with that way of thinking when it comes to aviation verses other private industries;

If i were an engineer in my home city, I'd have a choice of 100+ companies I could have compete against each other for my services, if I were a lawyer there are about 20 big law firms here, a doctor there are 6 big hospitals and a further 12 private hospitals to try get my promotion from, a HR manager there are thousands of companies to chose from, fine, compete against each other.

However, there are just 2 large airlines based in my city, and that's unique as well for an airport to have two large based carriers, so this "If you want a promotion just move like they do in private industry" argument really falls short in this case, I don't want to move my family to another country, where they don't speak the same language, to have to take my kids out of school, make a whole new circle of friends and neighbours etc, so realistically I'm left with only 2 choices of where to work in my home city/country, not 200+, and one of them is certainly less desirable.

So I want to know that I can join an airline, keep my head down, work what I'm rostered and not feel obliged to come in on free days, not go fatigued, work into discretion (ie. actually enjoy the T&Cs that people have fought for), I can pass my command course and when a space opens up I know I won't be overlooked by some company man, chief pilot's friend from the military or some external "Hot Shot", I've proven myself capable of meeting their command criteria, as will 95% of pilots, so what else is fair for determining when one should get their command against 200 other command-approved co-pilots?