PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2019, 23:43
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
I am in favor, not american originally (see screen-name), not mil, started flying age 30 after working in other fields, have worked at multiple companies, including 4 as a pilot.
There are several reasons:
Improves T&C, because less undercutting by DECs.
Less pressure to accept things like MX, WX fatigue issues because of fear of not advancing.
Not getting stuck as an FO with DECs getting hired above you.
Again, just MHO
Very similar to myself.

Not American - From New Zealand where we have the National Carrier and a couple of Australian LCC Subsidiaries.
Worked outside of Aviation until I was mid 20's, never been in the Military.
Have flown for Airlines with no (or very loose) Seniority systems and am quite happy now at a Seniority based Legacy Carrier.

I have no desire to work in an industry, as I did previously, where promotion was usually the result of resigning and joining another company. I have enough friends/family in the "corporate world" who do just that and they aren't exactly selling it to me. Actually my Sister is sick to death of it because she needs to consider the location of a new company and how that would affect her commute with the Kids in before & after School care. Not to mention having staff travel seniority reset with every move, but I gather there's isn't much of that in Europe anyway.

I appreciate redundancy is an argument against Seniority (and the only Valid one in my opinion), but New Zealand isn't Europe so I'm happy to take the risk... if I were to be made redundant, well I've got enough Type Ratings to find a job somewhere. Reality is, there's enough non-seniority based Airlines out there, that experienced crew should always be able to find a job "somewhere" in the same Rank they were made redundant.. just not at a Legacy Carrier.