PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2019, 21:08
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only problem is with the seniority system it makes not a jot of difference whether you sit on your thumb all day or bust your balls working hard. So why work that little bit extra?

I really do think the majority who are in favour of the seniority system are also either straight out of school pilots or ex military and have never worked in another industry. This type of system just doesn’t exist anywhere else in the world.

Almost every career you move up a couple of position and then leave that company to a promotion at a different company. And it then continues. Outside of the public sector it is very unusual for an individual to spend their whole career at one company.
1. So what extra are you actually planning to do? Volunteer on days off? Fetch a coffee for the Chief Pilot? I believe I speak for the majority when I say this job is a lifestyle. I enjoy the flying, but more important is that I can live where I want to live and meet the people I want to meet. I do the job to best of my ability when I work, other times I am off.

2. Two companies, former non-seniority and I had to put up with whatever the company threw at me. Latter, seniority. I know what I can expect and I plan my life around it.

3. Options are geographically limited I am not not taking a promotion in a different country, let alone continent. As an engineer, teacher or doctor I can move across the street. Not happening as a pilot. Not where I am.