PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2019, 19:04
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highflyer40

I think the majority on here hailing the benefits of the seniority system are Americans? The funny thing is this is a complete 180 to the American way of life, where they all say it’s the land of opportunity and if you work hard to can make it to the top.

the only problem is with the seniority system it makes not a jot of difference whether you sit on your thumb all day or bust your balls working hard. So why work that little bit extra?

I really do think the majority who are in favour of the seniority system are also either straight out of school pilots or ex military and have never worked in another industry. This type of system just doesn’t exist anywhere else in the world.

Almost every career you move up a couple of position and then leave that company to a promotion at a different company. And it then continues. Outside of the public sector it is very unusual for an individual to spend their whole career at one company.
I am in favor, not american originally (see screen-name), not mil, started flying age 30 after working in other fields, have worked at multiple companies, including 4 as a pilot.
There are several reasons:
Improves T&C, because less undercutting by DECs.
Less pressure to accept things like MX, WX fatigue issues because of fear of not advancing.
Not getting stuck as an FO with DECs getting hired above you.
Again, just MHO