PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2019, 22:23
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyer4life
Exactly NoelEvans, I was one who took “a dodgy upgrade” at Monarch, thinking I was comfortably at a career airline with the cushion of seniority.

And then I joined EZY as DEC where we have unions across Europe without seniority, although there is an element of pay based on length of service. Great to stay LHS of course, shame to lose the career option of long haul at my old airline.

For those outside of UK, Monarch was a seniority airline that lasted for almost 50 years, until a combination of events and a take-over by venture capitalists brought about its demise. Not long ago, when many of us made our career choices, it was considered a very secure, career airline. It had a superb safety record and a reputation for high standards, nothing dodgy about it at all.

I think a lot of guys just don’t understand the unfortunate situations that can occur outside of their own seniority bubble. My point is that seniority punishes decisions you made years ago when you simply cannot predict the future. It’s mostly down to luck and it could happen to any of us. It’s naïve to think otherwise.

I think to have more career choices later in life outside of dumb seniority is of great benefit if one’s luck doesn’t hold out for decades on a seniority list. I thought we pilots liked to have options?
I will apologise for calling Monarch dodgy. I am currently at my 4th company. All those moves were because the company went under. At 2 & 3 got upgraded on merit ahead of a lot of others (no seniority). Joined my current company with 8K TT, 4K PIC, often flying with captains with less experience than I. Still a firm believer seniority is more fair, so agree to disagree.

Last edited by hans brinker; 20th Oct 2019 at 03:58.