PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - forced to pay for a type rating!
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2003, 06:33
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that many wannabes' expectations are far too high! When, in a time of high aircrew unemployment, the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet demand a type rating and a minimum of 500 hours on type, who do you think they're looking for? A bunch of newly-qualified guys with the minimum qualifications? Or some of the large number of unemployed who already meet their specifications?

The answer to that is fairly obvious. Some here have already intimated that airlines do need to look to the future, even in tough times, so they set their minimum qualification requirement at a level that will ensure that some newish guys get in. However, most of their recruits in these times will comfortably exceed these minimum requirements. Of course, schools will pick up on these minima and offer to train you to this minimum standard - at a cost, and without guarantees. Hey, they're out to earn a living too! But you are presumably intelligent, and can distinguish the opportunists from the long-term operators.

Times are now beginning to look more positive, at least in UK. The market is gradually realising (as CH4 implies) that there are fewer experienced guys out there. The minimum qualifications will soon drop, and at the same time the remunerations will improve - especially at those operators who stand to lose their experienced Shed/F50/Bandit pilots to the entry-level jet operators. That's the way the market works.

Those of you who have an fATPL and feel aggrieved that you don't have a jet job have no concept of the way the world works. Even in the high times in the USA and Europe, very few left training with an intro to a B737 or whatever. Right now, there are 5000+ hour jet pilots in the US scratching for B200 jobs. Such was the impact of 9/11 there. Even here, there are still many experienced jet pilots made unemployed post 9/11 who haven't come back. Some of them never will.

So, should you get a rating? I personally disapprove of newly-qualified fATPLs getting a jet rating. In general, I think you're wasting your time - but I recognise that some succeed this way. If you're determined to do it, then at least make sure that you use a reputable trainer. A turboprop rating is a different matter. Most TP operators are never going to be able to afford to pay your ratings for you, but if you'll meet them halfway they'll give you great experience in the certain knowlege that you'll move on in time. If, after a few years in the TP business, you're unlucky enough to be looking for a jet job when there aren't many about, then maybe you'd be justified in paying for a jet rating. I just don't see the need when you're brand new to flying. As for those who complain about the commercial organisations who charge you large amounts of money for the qualifications you want, ask yourselves whether or not you are playing into their arms with your expectations to be flying a jet a few months after you've achieved your CPL?