PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NGs have cracked 'pickle forks' after finding several in the jets.
Old 16th Oct 2019, 18:24
Grebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IFMU
That sounds like nonsense to me! At the airframers I worked with bolts were always loaded in shear and for critical joints special attention was paid to bolt fit in both design and manufacturing.
Agree re sounding like nonsense- he/she is mostly- completely wrong. In aircraft design and construction for at least 60 years, most- if not all fasteners are designed to be used in shear. true there are some tension applications - but structural rivets, bolts, etc are designed and installed to reasaonably assure the hole is filled.

One of the earliest versions of a tight hole filled fastener is the ' taperlok'- used extensively/ on the B-52. Then came close fit lockbolts, hi shear and similar. Then came things like rivbolt- interference fit - 'cold expansion' ( AKA coldwork ) in the 60s. Rivets were designed to expand in then hole via both squeeze and squeeze vibrate- and for some critical areas ONE SHOT installation and hole filling was controlled by die shape. ( I'm talking aeospace - since until the 60's and 70s, hot riveting was used on buildings and bridges ) and hot riveting was tried - tested ( electrical heating ) for aerospace but had other problems. One shot riveting is now done by ' electro- magnetic riveting ' and the major firm is known as electro-impact. Turns out that properly done, one shot riveting does have significant fatigue improvement.

ALL of which to say is the major- most common installation of fasteners in aerospace is to produce close or interference fit to ensure fasteners are uniformly loaded in SHEAR.

stepping down from soapbox
BTW- electro-magnetic- riveting ( one shot ) was developed and patented by Boeing in the 70's- actually developed and tested in the late 60's and used on early 747's. Electro impact came along later ( long story ) with a low voltage version and thecompany was founded on that modification.

In the late 60's, coldworking was used as a field ' repair ' on some fastener holes in high strength steel on lufthansa 707- by sending an AOG crew there with a few driils, reamers, and sleeves and mandrel. I turned down that particular trip ..

Last edited by Grebe; 16th Oct 2019 at 18:54. Reason: added a bit of background