PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bangs & Jolts
Thread: Bangs & Jolts
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2003, 03:51
gofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger Maxalt

I was trained NOT to answer back, but in your case I'll make an exception and rise to the bait. Remember you have achieved what you wanted, to drive a good fare paying PAX from your airline - as I'm elephantine in remembring things that got my goat.

1) My company has regularly spent at least US$ 50K on tickets for my transportation for the last 10 year, and many of those dollars went to RTW's and complex nested D class fares so as to get the most bang for our buck.

2) Since keeping score from 1. Jan.94 I'm @ over 700 flights, and an annual in air time between 200 and 1000 hours (av. leg time this year on 68 legs so far is 4h 28m). I have been flying regularly for over 50 years, am around my 7th or 8th of 9 lives flying, did PPL training, and my Godfather, Uncle & Son-in-Law were/are all commercial pilots, my father was an aeronautical engineer. To crown it all my daughter is a Senior Purser and been for over 10 years.

3) I know what bad weather looks & feels like and have seen ashen faced cabin crew before - but usually they will talk when spoken to calmly and analytically. I have been flying A-319's, as SFL, since 1997.

4) Most of the CRM focused Flight crew (CRM in the commercial sense of Customer Relationship Management - not yours) do oftern make an announcement when something unexpected happens, even if it is bad news. This is however much more common now than 20 years ago.

Pure tangent that I can't resist. A recent case I had was a very out of breath Capt. who had just run to the back of the aircraft and back - who apologised for the alarm and the fact that a PAX had insisted on testing the smoke detector in the rear toilet - he managed to make light of it while still informing of the penalties and that the PAX would be handed over to the police on landing - He was.

NoD Thankyou for a plausable suggestion - was it your flight ?? - Anyway I'll write it off to that for now.

Slingsby Agree entirely when it is standard turbulance, a one time sideways jolt that skids the whole aircraft enough to require visible course correction, I think not.

Broadreach Those kind words most appreciated - Each aircraft has its own collection of funny squeeks and thuds, and serious turbulance can get some fabulous grindings and groans that the Aircraft was certainly built to withstand - its just the bang from the blue that reminds you that flying isn't totally foolproof or absolutely 2 million % safe yet, and that you might just be mortal, after all.

Radar & Pub User You are so right - we do pay all the airline staff wages - and I don't begrudge most of the staff their portion, but if there were any tips going around mine would go to the unsung hero's in the hangars that fix them and check them at the most stupid hours, so that the crew and the SLF can fly safely.

As far as I'm concerned - subject closed, unless somebody has a better idea than Nigel's - mail me if you prefer discretion guaranteed - I'm not reporting anything to management - they usually are most of the problem, unfortunately.