PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2019, 08:07
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Captain-Random
After 10 months back in the UK I finally got my break and now I fly Turbo props for an airline in the UK.

I know of a few training mates who are still unemployed 5 years after qualifying.

The main reasons why is because they’re:
not prepared to move away from their hometown
not prepared to take a pay cut
not prepared to flying anything less than a 737
family life has taken over the dream

If you have the passion you’ll get there.
Those contemplating flying as a career need to take careful note of what appears in the QUOTE

1. You might think that going straight from a light twin to a Airbus/Boeing etc is the best move. For those who regard themselves as “an ace of the base” then the choice may well be valid.
For the ordinary Joe, two years on a TP, multi sector days flying ILS, LOC, VOR, NDB approaches is the ideal apprenticeship. You build a solid foundation, with a fair amount of hand flying, visual approaches etc. Now ready to make that move to a medium size jet.

Just ask yourself how much manual flying will you get flying a big silver bird a month compared to a TP?
Just how competent are you when it comes to hand flying, raw data without that TP foundation?
Why not ask to fly a few 1500’ visual circuits early on during your MCC course? Good introduction if a circling approach is part of the syllabus later on.

2. At the very outset, if you are not prepared to move, accept FO pay, fly a TP, then why bother with the training in the first place?
These are all overcome without question if you really have the passion. The acid test.

If you are not 100% certain that this is what you have a burning desire to do, then forgot it; choose something else as an occupation as you are simply wasting your money.

Last edited by parkfell; 15th Oct 2019 at 08:49. Reason: Circuits on MCC course ~ addition