PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2019, 16:23
Calmcavok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t think we’d be seeing the level of unhappiness currently at BA if we had portability of career.

Because we can’t port our experience easily, then one is therefore heavily invested in the company they work for (seniority based). The company knows that too. So having done your 10/15/20 years, you know that to leave, you’d be back down at square one. Therefore ever inferior terms are imposed on the workforce.

Were we able to move our job, relying on experience gained and performance demonstrated, we’d be free of the shackles of a seniority system. This can work for FOs too: performance assessed, 6 months and 2 sim checks, suitable for upgrade. T&Cs would rise across the industry as companies need to pay for the best or offer lifestyle for the best or <shudder> both.

This though, is a fantasy. Both pilots as individuals, and the airlines are hand in glove. It’s a vicious circle that I can never imagine being broken. Sure, you have the exceptions: China, the ME, LCCs. But this is based upon need, and need only.

IMHO, those arguing about biding ones time are either invested in a seniority based airline or those that know no different.