PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2019, 14:43
cessnapete

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TACHO
Command upgrade: on ability and experience.
fleet change: queue system. Apply. take a ticket and then wait your turn
roster requests: set number of days per year per person
weekends: split equally amongst staff.

I think the comment regarding 'decent' airlines using seniority is not reasonable. If you are referring to legacy airlines the reason they have seniority is they are by nature quite old. Just so you know I am employed by an airline which uses seniority, but am very much against it, because, as I have stated a few posts up, it is actually capping terms and conditions across the industry.

I suspect you'll find the ones supporting it are more than likely the ones who are either close to command/fleet change or at the top of the tree and it now it doesnt matter. Who does seniority benefit more industry wide? The few or the many?

Obviously some resistance comes from the fact that people have invested in this ludicrous system and to now remove it means their investment has gone to waste
Your answers....
Command Upgrade, same as Seniority. When your Sen No. allows, Command opportunity, then past ability and experience checked, and if suitable and competent enough, pass the Upgrade Course. Who decides which Fleet you get Command on? Short Haul/Long Haul . A320 or perhaps you prefer A380 or 777/787 for lifestyle . Your system again just allocated by the "office " with no personal preference between new joiner and a 15 year service pilot in the Company?
Fleet Change. Queue system = Seniority.
Roster preferences, Who in your system decides allocation of good/bad destination ie lots of Lagos or lots of Sychelles.Lots of USA Nightstops usually unpopular, perhaps longer West Coast with days off, or 3/8 day Far East Australia etc, more popular,. and financially superior.
Which weekend? Can be Birthdays, Holidays, Family outings. In your system just allocated by an office person,with no requested preference??

Doesn't sound very equitable, or the making of a happy workforce!!