PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NGs have cracked 'pickle forks' after finding several in the jets.
Old 12th Oct 2019, 15:09
Grebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyricks
I believe that would be the Ducommun scandal I referred to earlier? One other thing. I read somewhere that pickle forks are made from AA7075-T3 - does anyone know this to be true? Most 7xxx alloys are not used in tension, which seems to be the role of a pickle fork, and certainly not in a naturally aged temper (i.e. age hardened at room temperature) as such tempers are unstable in 7xxx alloys. I would have thought a 2xxx damage tolerant alloy more appropriate for pickle forks.
You might be correct re diff in alloy and temper. May well be the diff between costs and production techniques between the alloys- all "solved" by using the cheapest.

But the above being said- This SLF non structural engineer suggests that the landing loads and skipped production techniques re hole prep ( drill, coldwork, ream, interference fit being the baseline ) when skipped ( saves time ) and/or improperly checked tooling size ( coldwork mandrel ) is the most likely issue. ( see Fatigue technology ) disclaimer I have NO ties to Fatigue technology- almost opposite for ancient reasons not pertinent here

Add the file to fit- pound to suit- and here we are.