PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2019, 15:04
SaulGoodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TACHO
But the fact that someone has sat in the same company for years does?

I mentioned the downing of tools as a counterpoint to your statement that seniority based airlines have better terms and conditions. I didn't say it was because of seniority... A seniority based airline has recently gone on strike in an attempt to gain better terms and conditions, thats a fact. It doesn't sound like the promised land of utter bliss and contentment to me.

i'm not quite sure I understand what you are getting at? It all depends on the airline and their type of operation. If the entrant lacked the experience of that type of airline operation then a non seniority system would promote those who were therefore better at the job. A Ryanair pilot flying 900 hours a year at Ryanair is more experienced in that airlines operation than a cargo guy with the same number of hours, so therefore at Ryanair he would probably be a more suitable candidate for command... Easyjet employs a system where hours in other companies are taken into account which contribute towards 'easyjet' experience, lessening time to command if one is deemed suitable.... which I believe is based on performance in simulators and checks. No problem there, those who are suitable get to be a captain and are promoted on merit, not because 10 years ago they happened to apply for a vacancy.

So its cheaper for a company, allows free movement, and saves training time? Before it is suggested that this blocks FO's from ever getting a command, I know one company (funnily enough that didn't have a seniority list) that allowed experienced FO's to join and gain fast track promotion if they worked hard, showed they could adapt to the company operation and ticked the boxes in the sim...
Let’s agree to disagree as we both don’t have to convince each other. If you are in favour of seniority just apply at companies who use it and if not than just don’t.
There are plenty of options.

However, you do not get a command just because you did apply 10 years ago. This will only give you a command assessment. At the end of the day, one still has to pass the command course.

This company that did go on strike. Did they get better T&C’s or did they not? Being united has its advantages. I would like to believe there is less unity in companies without a seniority system. I have seen that in my previous company.