PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2019, 22:23
Sholayo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what is so special about aviation industry in terms of career development.

Reading this thread one may have an impression that only seniority gives transparent way of career progression. Otherwise we have that grey area of nepotism, lack of transparency and alike.
How come in any other industry it is totally normal that you oprogress gaining expirience, proving you're better than your peers and have skillset required for next step on the ladder?

I read "Fate is the Hunter" as a teenager and it was beyond me even back then how idiotic that system is. Honestly, I thought it had long gone in '50 or maybe '60. I was extremely suprised when I learned it is totally normal even now and there are people supporting it.

With all respect - I work in IT and cannot even think how my industry would look like if we would have seniority system. How come incompetent idiot flying for 5 yrs in one company is in better position than supersmart and skilled captain with 20 years behind his belt but simply decided to change employer? Does this have anything to do with HR in XXI century?

&