PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2019, 14:26
TACHO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 172_driver
Care to comment? Do you think it's fair to have a Emirates, Turkish or even Easyjet expat who has earned $$$ more than me come home and join as a DEC? Just because "they want to come home"? There is no need for DEC anyway where I work. We're not short of suitable candidates.

172 driver, maybe crossed wires, and my post wasn't addressing your's in particular, more the underlying theme of the thread.

If the Emirates, Easy or turkish guy is better at his job (I'm not saying they are of course) I'd have to say... well yes that would be fair, as that or a similar option would be available to you as well if seniority didnt exist? The picture you paint is only unfair in a system where seniority exists. Without a seniority based system you could go where you please at no cost to yourself and walk right into a new company at the same level or near enough.

Macdo, my sincerest sympathies regards TCX, been in the same boat. a few times now.

With regards to the other part you wrote, I take your point and it is true you know where you stand... But also reiterate my point that often seniority rewards mediocrity, simply coasting along for years in the same company shouldn't be worth as much, when there are maybe people wanting positions who are far more able. Some people are high on a seniority list only by virtue of the fact that no one else would have them (captain and FO alike). Nepotism does exist that is true, but companys such as easyjet don't seem to struggle with it and I believe (anecdotally and generally) they tend to pick the right people for the job, all without a seniority list in sight.

Furthermore would you say it is a fairer system then ,that in 'normal' workplace environment that you'd be comfortable if person A was given the chop even though they were better at their job, purely based on the fact that person B was there longer but not as productive?

In my former airline it came as quite a shock to one or two who believed that, as they had been there 5 years automatically meant they should be a captain and likewise there were guys who would have been fantastic captains but were blocked by those above who were often less able.... furthermore there were FO's who had done little else but keep a seat warm, yet in many circumstances were paid more than a captain, purely because of how long they had been there.

Seniority is far from a perfect system. Without it there are injustices yes, but no more unjust than the other way, except one restricts and the other allows movement, which would be in all pilots favour. The guys on a seniority list near the top would be where they want so wouldn't have to worry as surely if they had been there that long they'd be pretty proficient?

edited to add: if you want to see how much seniority 'protects' people, have a swing over to the TUI recruitment thread. Seniority works when it is the company's favour and for those at its apex... I wonder how many TUI captains and union reps will be going in to bat for the FO's who have been patiently waiting for their command 'according to the seniority list'...

Last edited by TACHO; 11th Oct 2019 at 15:00. Reason: Addition