PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority
Thread: Seniority
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2019, 13:01
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TACHO
Doesn't seem to be an issue in any other non seniority based profession?

Seniority is for the benefit of 'the few' at the cost of 'the many'.... I can't think of a single downside for the industry to rid itself of this burden, people here who are praising seniority are only doing so thinking only of themselves and as an individual... Which coincidentally is why the piloting profession and prospects, unless you are lucky, is in such a state. "I'm alright Jack" springs to mind.
I wrote: Perhaps those who fell for the low-cost expansion, quick command, Emirates transfer is now paying the price for their decisions. I left low-cost command, joined a career airline (with seniority!) at the bottom, took a huge pay cut. But it got me where I wanted to be in life. I'd be utterly miffed of some top gun of my age, with a few thousand hours 777 command, would join as DEC. I served my time, stood down the money and now it's pay back time.

Care to comment? Do you think it's fair to have a Emirates, Turkish or even Easyjet expat who has earned $$$ more than me come home and join as a DEC? Just because "they want to come home"? There is no need for DEC anyway where I work. We're not short of suitable candidates.