PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 17:14
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been in the flying business all my life and, seeing the wriggling that you young guys are having to go through these days, I would hate to part of it today.

My career started with failing an RAF interview. It was at the time of the Duncan Sandys White paper. They call them SDRs now. It was the first real failure I'd had. I was a (then) state grammar school lad who had played a decent game of rugby, achieved good exam results and helped out at the local airfield.
I had to get a job as it was too late to go to uni that year, stayed in it and hated it.
I was actually doing a bit of Auster flying with a neighbour and he never ceased prodding me to try again but I was in my late teens and just didn't want to fail again.
Later the Royal Navy were advertising for pilots. I still had the PASSION and applied in the December. I was more PREPARED this time and, after the hoops, was in uniform by April !
I then fully trained, got my Wings and, in 30 months in all, was ready for FJ carrier ops. on a frontline aeroplane. Amazing these days !
Then another SDR and the politicians decided to scrap all the carriers !

OK, get some civvie licences and an 1179 - not as expensive as today - and instruct.
Then, 2 years later, instruct at an airline training school. They paid for my IR ! 4 years later and an airline came knocking !
I didn't even have a proper interview or have to pay for a type Rating. I took quite a drop in salary though - for 6 months.
As I had jet time, another Type Rating was all paid for and I was put up for a Command after a couple of years.
I did 25 years of it with little appreciation but lots of experience of our environment, people and what (hand) flying was all about.
After retirement I set up a company and did all the things I had wanted to do. To teach at an advanced level - instrument, aerobatics, formation and the icing on the cake - maintenance test flying (14 years of it) !
I've retired again after 18 years and I'm still flying but only for me now.

It's all about PASSION; the NEED, not the money. It is a tightrope but GIVE IT YOUR ALL - the MONEY will come anyway !

Good luck.