PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2019, 10:48
PPRuNeUser0198

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your evidence that the QF pilot population is any different to the community.
Divorces maybe, bad investments yes, premature death bullsh*t.
Re long term health what is the evidence?
Empirically validated studies and research that infer causality which you can digest yourself. Purchase access to various journals and you can read the published papers. I don’t speak to the QF pilot population - I speak to all the population. I have spent countless hours performing my own meta-analysis on the research and there are many peer-reviewed papers on the implications of circadian disruption and cosmic radiation to name a few. Just going through body scanners is doing you harm. Ionizing radiation is damaging your DNA, and the cumulative effects are problematic. I always refuse the scanner and I once had a poorly informed TSA agent tell me that the dosage is no different to ‘what I experience when flying’. My simple response to him was ‘why double my exposure’.

Just one night of no sleep is shown to increase levels of beta-amyloid in the brain which is correlated to Alzheimer’s and other cognitive degeneration. Without the required time and required phases of deep restorative sleep to activate the flow of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain so these harmful waste proteins can be cleared away - your risk factors go way up. So image the implication of shift work and / or broken sleep that pilots suffer in the course of their careers.

And this is the tip of the iceberg - the other factors of poor nutritional outcomes, mental health issues, increased risk of obesity and cardiovascular disease. And it is a normal distribution. There are populations that degenerate faster, and there are populations that degenerate slower (like your 96 year old mate) - because there are many more variables that either contribute to, or mitigate, internally and externally.

The data is there. The reality is that for the majority - you will likely suffer earlier mortality, and associated health consequences. The question is whether this is an acceptable comprise to do what you may love so much. But for me - I’d be doing all I can to get better health outcomes in your enterprise agreement.