PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2019, 08:52
JamieMaree

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by V-Jet
And that is EXACTLY what has happened over the last 30 years. Qf pilots would be at least 70% more efficient than they were 20 years ago - though I cannot believe this was given away, the 787 is 30% for start. It is impossible to explain to someone who doesn't fly long haul regularly (as crew) just how tiring it is. Two years is fun, easy stuff. 5 years you get the picture. 10 years you will be suffering major sleep problems and 20 years+ your health is simply suffering.

In rough terms, something like 8 of the 12 pilots (anecdotal, I may be wrong and people 'lie' to protect privacy) on Qantas initial cadet course ALL suffered various forms of rare but severe dementia and were dead around 65. These were the first guys flying long haul (707 Long Haul). Three years after very well respected head of training Captain I.T retired my crew saw him in the terminal in WSSS. He was going to LHR (daughters wedding??) and staff travel being what it was (forget now) he was trying to work out what flights to catch. His wife had written out a list of flights and their departure times and he was told to cross them off as the time passed so he would know what flight to try for next. He was terribly distressed because he crossed the flight numbers off from the bottom of the list first so it didn't make sense anymore. It was desperately sad to watch.

Another one worth a read up on is Qantas Captain Graeme Wylie. Very similar but with tragic results. This is what happens when you spend 20++ years of your life flying long (and longer) haul.

Crews do NOT make these stories up. It's serious and real.
Bullsh**t.
IT and GW certainly had their problems but they were the only ones.
To base your case on that is absolute bullsh* t.
There is a memorial service tomorrow for long retired captain DO who died of old age at 94.
What is your evidence that the QF pilot population is any different to the community.
Divorces maybe, bad investments yes, premature death bullsh*t.

Last edited by JamieMaree; 8th Oct 2019 at 09:08.