PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2019, 04:12
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Street garbage
So, other than retaining night credits for 3 pilot ops, what is that we want is unrealistic? Happy to TRADE night credits..if the we can get a win somewhere else..this is supposed to be a negotiation, instead of one side of the table saying no, no, no (as in the SH EBA).
Overtime is gone. What else? Proper crew rest? Correct Crewing Complement?
Times are changing....a throw away line, look at the 30% productivity increase on the B787 Contract and the 80% YES vote to answer that.
Why have night credits at all? You’re an international airline that eventually is going to end up flying at night, that’s part of your job description. **** I wish I got night credits for all my single pilot, remote area aeromed flying that I did in the middle of the night. Instead we just accepted that is part of the job and our base salary reflected it.

If you want my opinion from an outsider looking in that can also understand the general public’s opinion that you’re all fat cat pilots who only work 3-4 times a month, maybe best to put your salaries on hold and trade some of it for other benefits, such as increased crewing complements, longer layovers to assist with fatigue management or whatever else you feel necessary. You’re arguing this at a time when wage growth and inflation are at near record lows in Australia. It’d be very very easy for the company to make it look bad for you and then you’ve got zero public support and could end up even worse for you.

Back in the 80’s, the trade unions were pushing more and more for increased pay for their workers. There was pushback from the companies obviously, but Bob Hawke could see both sides of the argument and suggested that maybe the workers would be better off trying to get better social benefits instead of increased pay. Guess what, it worked. So have a think about that.

Maybe management might see the lack of a salary increase as a productivity gain if the cost of things like above are minimal cost to them but big gains in lifestyle and fatigue management for you.

Lets face it, fatigue limits these days are targets for most airlines. Anything that gives you extra downtime is going to be a win.