PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NGs have cracked 'pickle forks' after finding several in the jets.
Old 7th Oct 2019, 12:01
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
.... but the initial defect must still be reported for statistical reasons.
All agreed Pilot DAR tho I read it as "nil returns" also required in cases where the aircraft was found to be OK when inspected to give a statistical feel for the issue/ensure all relevant A/C have been checked.

In such areas, usually you are talking of limited scratches/nicks being blended out from my memory. Usually a crack was a "here we go" moment and leads to a world of pain and grief as you suggest (replacement and all that entails). However, I have come across main lift frames in the RW world having repairs but my memory is such that I can't remember how the original frames were produced - they were fairly robust tho! Do recall a good cue to inspect the frame "out of phase" was when the aircrew started saying how smoothly the aircraft was now flying all of a sudden! A whole new meaning of "stress relief"!!!!

I just got the feeling, given no repair details have been quoted yet (that we know of), that Boeing/the FAA are still getting to grips with exactly what they have on their plates here - as will the poor operators! As pettinger93 and SLF3 observe, a permenant solution would require a redesign - unless you just "life" the forging and accept an ongoing cost in the interim/future. Whatever it is, sounds like it's not going to be fun.