PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - forced to pay for a type rating!
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2003, 05:44
Chokdee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a tricky one the self funded debate, but I reckon it has to be a consideration. After working as a Joiner/Carpenter (Net monthly income 520 stg) I decided to become a pilot. Sacrifice number one. A few loans later, interspersed with loads of hardwork, I finally became a Flying Instructor (Net monthly income 400 stg). Financially, sacrifice number two but great fun. Next came the ATP/CTC, whatever you want to call it, scheme. Huge sacrifice this one, six grand loan, pass the course, no salary, flying allowance only and no guarantee of a job at the end of the summer's flying. Assuming the course was passed, the six grand was paid back to you in monthly instalments, so the bank manager quite liked that. It's one big struggle, but you need to be willing to make the sarifices, because the guy next to you sure as hell will. Almost eight years have passed since the ATP/CTC course, but even now if I found myself out of work I would again make sacrifices, depending on the severitiy of the situation. I hope this gives some people the motivation to continue in what can be a very frustrating industry,
Rgds.