PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NGs have cracked 'pickle forks' after finding several in the jets.
Old 5th Oct 2019, 03:24
Grebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Therhino
The Boeing MOM referenced in the AD is available to the public in the public rule making docket, which can be viewed at:

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0711-0002

Just my opinion based on a fair amount of background re fasteners, holes, coldworking, tooling, and a very very small bit of repair issues

First- thanks to dave for the document complete with pics

second - I will draw your attention to the FACT that it was/is the Fail safe strap portion of the PF - not the PF- as the scare press would infer-

third- note that most - many NG will need nothing done/inspected till the next check - and an estimate of 1 hour for inspection is not unreasonable- which does not count time to possibly clean area, maybe take photos and complete paperwork.

Fourth - Even assuming the crack went to both holes and to both edges, the ' wings' will not fall off since the larger bolts ABOVE the smaller ones take the load. Under that event, then a major rework of some type might well be needed.

Fifth - the obvious cure to prevent such happening would be during production to ensure at time of assembly, the holes in that area be drilled, coldworked, reamed, and interference fit bolts installed. A few extra steps- relatively easy to do during assembly at wichita. It is possible that such coldworking was supposed to be done- but was missed since it involves an extra drill and ream operation during assembly. No easy way to ensure it was done.

I'll refer you to my post number 11 in this thread for more details

28th Sep 2019, 07:45