PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dispatch/operational towing for reducing emissions?
Old 4th Oct 2019, 02:39
petrichor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
No need for towing. There is e-Taxi for Airbus and WheelTug for Boeing: electric motors in the nose wheel which can taxi the aircraft using the APU Gen, or assist one engine.

Also no need for a pushback tug or towbar, (unless the ramp is icy), just someone on the headset. Save time at busy airports where many have to share the same push crew.

I tried to interest my previous airline in this, but then they went into administration.............
That's going to be one hell of a motor to pull any aircraft over 150T! The weight and stress added to the gear alone would probably make it unfeasible. As for tugs - when under tow the engineer has responsibility for the process including clearance of obstacles and other aircraft - this would not change, which means you now tie up that person for probably 45mins-1hr per aircraft which is not a good use of manpower.

Do we need to do something yes, and RETI is the probably the best compromise so far. The most effective way to cut emissions = less aircraft. The time has come to accept that it no longer makes sense to pursue the ideal that "everyone can fly". They should not. The risks associated with flying justify high safety considerations and that comes at a cost. Unfortunately airlines, manufacturers and regulatory authorities now seem to deem cost/profit margins as more important that safety and that means a reduction in safety margins is necessary just to allow Joe Public to travel halfway around the world for a few bucks! Perhaps the cost of a ticket should have matched inflation all these years, that would have kept the demand down and thus aviation-related emissions. One look at a global view on Flightradar gives a scary perspective on just how many aircraft there are up there at any one time! Yes it would mean less jobs but if we are truly looking at effective ways to cut emissions then we have to look at changing our mindset that an annual holiday abroad or numerous trips for business meetings are an absolute necessity.

My tuppance worth...and yes I'm an airline pilot so I understand the effect of what I'm saying.