PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How easy for fresh fATPL holders to get A Flight Instructor Job
Old 1st Oct 2019, 19:18
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yap800
Hi guys,
I am wondering how difficult/easy/likely it is for fresh fATPL holders + flight instructor rating with no previous flying job to get jobs as flight instructors.

Are flight schools open to this or are they very averse to this?
Are there so many fATPL holders trying to do this that it is very competitive and saturated?

Just for context (but not to derail the thread) I am still deciding between integrated and modular training. If I go modular there may be no chance of an airline taking me fresh, but I will be in a better financial position to do a flight instructor rating. And therefore maybe have a chance to build hours and experience.
Even if you start your training today, it will be over 12 months before your basic training will be complete.
The recent news of airlines ceasing to trade may well be a warning of things to come.

At present, modular students are not disadvantaged from going straight into the airlines, provided their training goes well.
There are a number of full time modular ATOs who get good results.
The majority of new FI(R) start instructing PPL at flying clubs. Once you gain 200 hours then the larger ATOs might be an option. Unless you have a real interest in instructing probably best to give it a wide berth.

But before spending anything on training, obtain your Class One Medical.