PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NGs have cracked 'pickle forks' after finding several in the jets.
Old 1st Oct 2019, 11:32
Webby737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the forthcoming AD/SB will contain.
I would assume that it will require entry to the centre tank with quite a bit of sealant removal, so it won't be a 5 minute inspection.
If it wasn't for the spotlight on Boeing because of the MAX, we would probably of never heard of this in the mainstream media, these sort of problems exist on many aircraft types, it's not just Boeing products, there's plenty of similar inspections on Airbus aircraft.
@ B727223Fan, I remember the B727 well, we used to inspect the Frames that the forward wing Bottle Pin attached to, STA 740 if I remember correctly, these used to crack in the lower lobe (accessed through the Fwd Cargo Bay), the repair was either a stop drill and external stainless steel doubler or a Frame replacement.
We also used to find cracks in the frames common to the forward and aft bulkheads of the MLG wheel well (STA 870 & STA 950), these used to crack near STR 10 - STR 14 in the window belt area probably due to corrosion.
Of course at the time these were 30 year old aircraft so some defects were to be expected.