PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Annoying habits
Thread: Annoying habits
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2019, 16:32
Juggler25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two cents for you FZRA...

Originally Posted by FZRA

- Re. speed control. How rapidly are you expecting us to decelerate? The aircraft I fly is USELESS at slowing down with any greater than 1500ft/min VS, even with max spoilers. Quite often the only way to decelerate is to "dive down" to the next assigned level then rely on the speed coming back once level. Or kill the VS to <500ft/min to get rid of energy, then increase the VS again. I presume that you see our actual IAS on Mode-S, as opposed to selected IAS?
There are two problems. One is when a conversion speed is given with a when ready descent clearance. So often aircraft will carry on at the cruising level for ~20 miles before descending then go way faster than the restriction given. When questioned we're told 'well we needed to speed up to make the level restriction'. So why not descend earlier when the descent clearance was given?
The other problem is communication. It's impossible for us to know all the intricacies of each aircraft type/current weather conditions and how well they can slow down so it's difficult for us to always know if a speed and level restriction is difficult for you to achieve. So if a restriction isn't compliable then say so! If we know you can't do something we can figure another plan out and carry on. I believe a lot of pilots still think that speed restrictions are just to absorb delays and so if they're ignored it doesn't matter. They're not, they're a form of separation the same as a level or heading. I'm pretty sure you don't want to plough into the aircraft ahead of have to deal with a TCAS RA?

- "Descend when ready" - if we've then given it a few minutes in level flight, some of my colleagues like to chip in with "ABC123, commencing descent now". Personally I think it's an un-necessary call, but their argument is that it may help your situational awareness if you'd forgotten about us?
I can only speak for within the UK but most of our sectors are small enough that we're watching you closely constantly so will know exactly when you've started descending and don't need the reminder. To be honest this is not a massive problem unless it blocks the frequency.

- "Standing by for further climb/descent" - not pointing fingers here, but in some countries it's quite common to be left way above descent profile, with radio silence; it seems the only way to spring ATC back to life is with a little nudge. Cue the sudden "Roger, descend 3000ft, Direct XYZ, cleared for the approach" whilst still at FL100 and 20 miles from the field. Are you suggesting that if we've not been called there's a good reason to just stay quiet and wait for the next clearance?
If it's quiet and you've levelled off for a bit then this is fair game. But it's when the RT is very busy and you keep getting blocked by pilots who are still 2-3000ft from levelling off bugging you for further climb/descent that's the real irritant. We'll get to you when we can, we don't let you level off just for the sake of it.

- "Request FLXXX for the cruise, if available" - our company likes us at FL410-450 most of the time. But quite often it's planned below that due to airspace/capping restrictions or whatever. Is it fair to ask for a higher level, or is that a massive addition to controller workload? Some colleagues argue that having us "up there" keeps us out of your way, but I'm not convinced it's that simple.
We're not permitted to climb you above your filed level when going to adjacent countries. Restrictions are there to keep controller workload manageable and therefore the aircraft safe. It's an annoyance I know but the crux of it is there's too many aircraft for not enough airspace!

- "Expedite climb" - we can often do 5-6000ft/min VS when asked to. Is that acceptable for you, or is there another more sensible number that you're expecting?
If you're given an expedite then the best rate possible is appreciated. It's usually given because we've gone for a dodgy climb through and so probably in your interest to climb like the clappers!

Just to chip in a little about runway exits, as a couple of others have alluded to. It can be quite difficult to judge the amount of braking required for a timely exit, especially as our exact touchdown point/GS can vary. We're always aiming for the preferred exit, but then our company data monitoring has very strict rules on exit speeds....sometimes we're stuck between having to leave it to the next exit and annoy ATC, or take the exit above SOP speed and face an internal report
Never been up a tower so couldn't care less!!