PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney 2POB missing west of Coffs Harbour
Old 28th Sep 2019, 04:29
Sword_2

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Never been ramp checked personally, but a couple of years ago I helped out at a small airshow a few hundred k's North of Perth, which took place a few months after the Mallard crashed in the river in Perth on Australia Day.

Seeing pilots being met by CASA on their arrival and then again badgered immediately before heading out to display left a very bitter taste in my mind. If anything were to happen in a display the human factors 'stress' element would've been on my mind for the pilots performing.

Knowing what the organisers had had to go through to get all of the necessary approvals and then be shadowed and further harassed throughout the show really showed me how CASA view aviation.

Having grown up with airshows in the UK and the 'light touch' and progressive regulation, CASA is the complete antithesis of the UK CAA.

Whenever people ask me to explain the difference, the simplest explanation is that in the UK the regulations are written so that only the things that are prohibited are there in the rules (small & sensible), and if it's not written that you can't do it, then generally you can. In Australia, with CASA, everything that you are allowed to do has to be written and given express permission for (which is enormous, baffling, written in legalese and with all manner of get-outs and exemptions).

It raises a smile when as a fresh PPL holder with a basic IMC rating in the UK, I could fly to much lower minima than a CASA CPL/IR holder even when operating an aeroplane with far more 'toys' and equipment here than I used to in a previous life.