PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Annoying habits
Thread: Annoying habits
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2019, 05:44
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
I for one try to use standard RT phrases, and try not to get into bad habits. I have been on a full TRUCE day and I make the effort to visit the tower at airports I am based at. My Dad was an ATCO at West Drayton, and he said it was sometimes difficult to “wake up” eastbound transatlantic pilots, inbound to the UK.

I don’t like it either when pilots ask for directs, (except to avoid weather).

Missing runway exits has been mentioned a couple of times: We obviously plan on taking a certain exit and adjust the autobrake accordingly. However, most Airbus have only low and medium settings, (Max is only used for RTO). We apply manual brakes to exit but it sh1ts the passengers up if we stand on the brakes and is very uncomfortable. We have strict company max speeds to take exits - even high speed exits, so if we are too fast, we have to go on to the next exit. By then of course, we are moving quite slowly.........we don’t like missing an exit either !

It would be helpful if the distances from the touch down point to each exit were written on the plate. Some newer aircraft have automatic brake to vacate at a specified exit.

Sometimes, even with the best of intentions, we float a little, which eats up our stopping distance. None of us are perfect

Last edited by Uplinker; 27th Sep 2019 at 06:00.