PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Annoying habits
Thread: Annoying habits
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2019, 15:46
rolaaand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotViking
out of curiosity, how much extra work does it cause when we ask for shortcuts that takes us outside controlled airspace? i.e deconfliction service etc

Thanks for the replies!
It can cause a lot, coordination with other sectors/airfields to accept the route and provide the service. Plus these requests are usually made with an “if it helps” can we take a dc and go direct. It rarely helps, it is taking you from a known traffic environment into an unknown one. The workload on us increases and I suspect that a lot of the commercial pilots who ask for these services don’t have a clue what their responsibilities are outside CAS or how they drop way down the controller’s priorities when they choose to do this. Pilot’s even accepting to route through intense gliding areas in their big passenger jets to save a couple of minutes. It’s all fun and games until the collision.

Other daily ball aches?

1-Uncommanded ident.
2-Not only ignoring speed control instructions but flat out lying when challenged and getting pissy about it too. At least daily this occurs.
3-Reading back by voice an instruction sent by CPDLC 🤷🏻*♂️
4-Repeated requests for something when a good reason has been given for refusal, eg direct when it would take you through an active danger area. I don’t refuse direct routes for no reason.
5-Being given a when ready clearance to be level by a point and then missing it, sometimes by many thousands of feet. Causes coordination and sometimes separation issues.
6-The never ending turbulence chat from the Americans on a bumpy day. It was forecast, I’ve told you there’s no smooth levels, stop cluttering up my frequency with your light chop banter.
7-“What’s the traffic ahead of us?” It doesn’t matter, I’ve slowed you down because it is busy. I’m well aware your Airbus can do 340kts, it can also do 250, quit moaning.
8-Asking the reason for the delay when the frequency is congested with arrivals and I’m sending everything to the hold. It’s not because I like making pretty patterns on the radar.

aaaand relax.

That was quite therapeutic.

Generally though, pilots are a pretty sound and professional bunch and the overwhelming majority are excellent in their interactions with atc. A handful of roasters wind us up, but that’s probably a two way street.