PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots vote to strike
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2019, 17:38
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Real pilots and trolls

Most of you have no clue to the training that went into the old pilots of the corporations. Day 1 sign official secrets act. Fed all quiet on the western front (english version) whilst being assessed as to our political leanings
18 months of graft..1/3 rd chopped. Started on crumbs without peanuts and most of my mates 20 years to command on aircraft full of carry forward defects and some just passed between captains to avoid grounding.
Captains who couldnt manually fly the aircraft.
Comprehensive understanding of laws, rules of the air, responsibility and dealing with frightened pax and sometimes crew who were intoxicated.
7 years in, I participated in an experiment..BEA to BOAC...10 months later I order the captain to put out a mayday..fortunately I am able to trouble shoot and discover during our descent back to take off airport that it was a runaway yaw damper. First reported occurrence. Reverse course again and get pissed in HKG thinking how good it is to be alive.
Chucked it in and did 13 years flying for the Swiss before I started my command course which was six months including practical meetings with everyone concerned with our operation from loading, atc to the equivalent of the SAS if I was hijacked.
Had an emergency over the north pole where the Navigation system doesnt do what it says on the box...absolutely no chance of survival if we get it wrong..turns out first polar crossing and programming wrong but get hauled over the coals as I disobeyed SOP..no apology once MD discovered the fault.
And all of my career if I made one eff up I would be on the dole or nicked as happened to Glen Stewart who topped himself doing his best for BA with management approval who dropped him in the Sxxt..ask bergerie.
GOOD LUCK TO THE GUYS..MY AIRLINE IS LONG GONE LIKE PAN AM AND TWA..why? management.