PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lucky Caravans!
Thread: Lucky Caravans!
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2019, 11:22
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
approaching the circuit or directly the final with a higher-than-usual descent angle, often fast, hot, with a pilot under severe time pressure
The jump pilot can dive the plane as they wish outside the circuit, but as any airplane, once approaching to join the circuit must conform to a "normal" circuit, and purposefully take the time to relieve themselves of pressure before landing. Pilots succumbing to "severe time pressure" as approaching to land make errors and omissions. Errors and omissions cause accidents, A friend of mine died from one last month.

Pilots, you are responsible for the safe flying of the aircraft. Thus, you are responsible for asserting yourself enough that you assure that time pressures are not tolerated. If it takes an extra point one one this flight, it probably won't on the next. If it takes the extra point one on that flight too, it's probably the time required to actually fly the flight safely - so take it! Some jump school operators will allow their bar to be set as low as the least cautious pilot will set a standard. I flew two seasons of jumpers, and gave up when the operator and I could not come to agreement on some safety elements. I was replaced with a time builder with on tenth my flying experience. As I could not convince the operation to enable more safety, I hope he found a way!