PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney 2POB missing west of Coffs Harbour
Old 24th Sep 2019, 19:17
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by wishiwasupthere
Well f&%k off then and stick to boating!
‘Wish I had, but Flying is addictive and fun....Until I found out about the miserable regulations and the apparent creatures that construct and enforce them. Just ask Glen Buckley.

You know what is different about aviation in Australia? The fear that surrounds it. It’s like no other activity. I visited a strip near Melbourne - walked into a hangar where a few people were working on aircraft. The look they gave me was what I later identified as fear - for a second they thought I might be from CASA. The atmosphere at two major institutions was also fear. The students and instructors feared the CFI and the CASA man who visited. These were not happy places

The subterfuges when there is a minor hiccup so as not to raise an incident report, the trash that goes into the incident reports that are raised. The culture of “tell em nothing” because what you say could hurt you. The guarded responses to direct questions by people worried by liability or worse still, because if they told you the truth you would walk away. The constant self censorship. These are products of a fearful culture.

There are pockets of light and fun in the general darkness and these need to be extended, but the darkness coming out of Canberra has to be stopped. Think Sauron and his lair on Mt. Doom but I’m waxing poetic.