PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney 2POB missing west of Coffs Harbour
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 03:15
Squawk7700

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
It is a pity that you and others don't appear to understand the fundamental problem with E airspace. That is, VFR do not know where the IFR is and IFR do not know where the VFR is. In effect, in seductively nice weather, some think we can all just look out the window and See and Avoid. But that's not how it works. It is impossible to effectively see and avoid when flying fast turboprops/jets. You won't see me and I won't see you. Dick Smith acknowledged the dangers of Class E when he implemented mandatory transponders for all aircraft in E in an attempt to mitigate this intractable issue.
I flew for approximately 8 hours in mostly class E over the weekend, above and in the flight levels and it was great. I was watching IFR traffic on the ADSB-in and ATC were advising me of traffic that may be an issue for me and likewise for them. I was only running mode C however they tagged my rego when I asked for a mode C check (hadn’t been used for a while). They even proactively called me up as I was heading towards Albury and they noticed that I didn’t have a plan in the system, so they asked if I wanted one and when I said yes, they already had a code ready.

Thumbs up ATC.