PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney 2POB missing west of Coffs Harbour
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 01:15
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunfish
I have a suspicion that there are professional pilots who deeply resent having to share airspace and that they have a disproportionate voice in airspace planning, but I have no direct evidence.

Sunfish,
Correct, and part of that is that most of the pilots (FOIs etc) in CASA are members of the same union, AFAP, as a proportion of Australian (mostly) domestic pilots. Many of them have a huge chip on both their shoulders (balanced personality) about anything they associate with "septic tanks".

I have personally witnessed a then executive member of the AFAP state, with respect to E versus G:" I don't care if it is safer, we are not going to do what the f-----ing septics do".

That also explains why "I fly IFR" is a badge of rank in Australia, elevating you above the great VFR unwashed, variously called "weekend warriors" flying "bugsmashers" --- the contempt exhibited is palpable. The "regional" pilots who act as though they have right of way are very much in evidence, appalling behaviour by self-confessed "professionals".

That also explains, in large part, why the originally very successful PIFR has regressed, been made all too hard, completely defeating its original purpose.

Looking dispassionately at many of the roadblocks in Australian aviation (roadblock is appropriate, keeping people on the road) says a lot about a very unhealthy psychology..
Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 23rd Sep 2019 at 01:20. Reason: typo