PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 20:23
Bryan_Air

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am just giving my experience, tbh I would probably say a bit entitled having experienced better terms and condition beforehand.

Yes, I was average and I struggled with the general operation, I felt contained and couldnt have time off when I wanted and had to turn up and do what your told most of the time. You have to absolutely love every minute of it and when you dont it becomes a total drag, constant checkins and yes sir pls sir etc, conversations all the same pilot bids, roster, flight pay etc.

Not bored as in, nothing to do, fed up of it would be more accurate. Once you have flown something big I just found it very very repetitive and you need to like that mindset, it didnt work for me and I got sick of it.

The whole industry as a pilot is very hard graft/responsibilities work etc and your on your beck and call especially when responsibilities come along its a struggle to manage and caused problems at home, its clear to see why a lot of single people working there or as a short term career. If you look at TCX possibly about to fail and BA at the other end, its such a hard operating environment to subject your working life and family to.

gulli Bell makes a good point, as a pilot you will only make a wage and what you earn is set out to the penny. I have seen a chap I grew up with start his own business and he can make over 250k a year through his company and works on average 3-4 days a week of his choosing, it took him over 10 years to get there but he is in a good spot and he is in early 40s. Nice house, kids in private school and only travels for (NICE) holidays as works locally.