PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A320NEO family orders - when & where will they be deployed?
Old 19th Sep 2019, 06:43
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by morno
So how do you replace a nearly always full 787 with an A321? Ever tried to get a staff travel seat on the SGN route for example?

Apart from maybe increasing frequency, I don’t see it being possible. QF pilots with stars in their eyes maybe?

Wheres the figures to support the claim that the 787’s aren’t profitable at JQ?
36 A321XLR’s replacing 11 B787-8’s would indicate a much higher frequency.

Great for increasing pilot numbers and promotions.

There has been a lot of discussion within the Group about how the B788’s are costing JQ a lot more than the A332’s. The most obvious being a small fleet of Boeings mixed with a large fleet of Airbuses which means significantly higher spares inventory as well as longer pilot and engineer training courses. Also, JQ had to buy & maintain a B787 Simulator whereas they didn’t pay for the A330 Simulator time (100% certain of that). The Fleet size is a significant factor - if JQ had 15 B788’s they wouldn’t have to buy any more spare parts & probably employ no more ground engineers due to efficiencies of scale. Substituting 36 A321XLR’s will see very significant reduction in spares, engineering training costs, pilot training, pilot rostering & disruption management.

From my experience ,it’s a clear decision that will save a lot of money & more clearly define JQ Intl as a LLC with high frequency, single aisle operations which provides distinct product differentiation from mainline operations.