PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2019, 21:43
Capt Colonial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Equaliser
No. It’s actually because QFSH pilots already have the best remuneration and conditions of any domestic narrow body pilots in Australia. A few tweaks will probably see the SHEA get voted up. Yes you only get what you negotiate, but the market can’t be ignored completely.
I am not sure I entirely agree with the statement above.
  • Remuneration: Yes...?
  • Conditions: Not Necessarily So!
You see, the AIPA commissioned an independent survey of current and former short-haul pilots in February 2018.
Around 80% of current short-haul members completed the survey along with 200 long haul members who have previously spent time on the 737.

This survey informed the AIPA negotiating team of the issues that pilots wanted addressing.

The survey results showed pilots wanted improvements to three key areas:

• Personal leave – (Conditions)

• Work/life balance – (Conditions)

• Risk v reward

Perhaps another good example was Flexi Lines.
Interestingly both Qantas and AIPA saw the introduction of Flexi lines being beneficial to pilots.
The AIPA sought the inclusion of a minimum quota in the number of Flexi lines that pilots could access. Qantas refused this.

So, my friends in SH see the rejection in that the Work-Life Balance has not been achieved at the specific required points.
  • Younger members are seeking time to facilitate a home life and
  • Older members needing to scale back flying by use of Flexi Lines or Mo/Mo and
  • Efficient and Effective General Rostering and Stability to achieve the two points above.
Any agreement needs to recognise the importance of the pilots’ role in the business, balance risk and reward while acknowledging the impact work has on home life.

Last edited by Capt Colonial; 13th Sep 2019 at 23:32.