PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 440 crash on approach to Toledo-Express airport
Old 12th Sep 2019, 01:31
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neilki
A note on FAA licenses: -the 'Date of Issue" is really the date the physical license card was produced. Something as simple s a change of address will update the date of issue..
The widow of one of the pilots said that he had flown for nearly 50 years.

From the Toledo Blade:

A freight pilot who had nearly 50 years of flying experience was one of two men who died after their cargo aircraft crashed less than a mile from Toledo Express Airport.

The nighttime incident, which is still being investigated, happened early Wednesday and caused a fiery impact after the twin-engine went down in the parking lot of a repair shop.

Ohio State Highway Patrol investigators identified the two on board as Douglas R. Taylor, 72, and Donald C. Peterson, Sr., 69, both of Laredo, Texas.

It was the type of flight the two had taken many times — flying auto parts from Laredo to cities that manufacture vehicles, said Kathy Peterson, who was married to Donald Peterson for 25 years. Her husband flew across the country from Texas to Alaska to Ohio, she said.
“I knew something happened around 3 o’clock this morning because the airport tracks all their flights and they called me and said something happened because the airports keep in touch with each other. The longer it went on, I started watching the news and I saw what had happened,” Mrs. Peterson said. “I don’t know why it happened, but it happened. We have to wait for the investigators to do that.”

There were no other injuries reported on the ground.

The 62-year-old cargo aircraft, a twin-engine Convair 440, was approaching the airport at about 2:37 a.m. when it crashed in the parking lot of Bubba’s Diesel and Auto Repair, an auto business near Garden and Eber roads in Monclova Township, officials said. The aircraft’s flight originated at 6:36 p.m. Tuesday in Laredo, Texas. It later stopped in Millington, Tenn. — outside of Memphis — before departing at 11:14 p.m. Tuesday from the Millington Regional Jetport and heading for Toledo, according to flight records.

“It’s really horrible. It still feels like he’s going to come home,” said Ms. Peterson, who was preparing to celebrate her 25th wedding anniversary next week. “He was a great pilot and a great guy, and I loved him very much.”

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/po...es/20190911118