PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 51 Years since AF 1611 Caravelle crashed near Nice-still secret
Old 11th Sep 2019, 09:43
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SamYeager
My French is a bit rusty but I believe the conclusion is that it was caused by a fire in the cabin however the authorities were unable to determine what caused the fire.
Not in the cabin but in the toilet. various causes were looked but all remain an hypothesis.
What I remember from that time was that the military were very nervous , and that some documents ,went missing that day . The page of the ATC log from Aix ACC that recorded the activity of the firing range nearby , where they did test missiles, was teared off. That led to the rumor and speculation that it was a missile that brought down the SE210. At that time it was ( probably still is ) the case when French military were involved or fear they might get involved, they always stopped any investigation under the "Secret defense"
I guess now all the people involved are probably dead, so we get see some documents now released to the public..

Recently the french Submarine that went down mysteriously also 50 years ago, the "Minerve" , where the French Navy always said they did not know where it was, was recovered within 48hours after some papers were made public..
50 years is a bloody long time for the families to know what happened to their loved ones...