PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bahraini Medical?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2019, 09:35
Gordomac

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
40&80, thanks for my larf of the day. Only did 17 years ,fingered 10 years ago but healed up now ! On thread though, blimey, it seemed much easier in the past. Wherever aircraft were registered, in order to operate, you needed that country's Regulatory Authority Licence. You needed, too, that country's medical. Of course there were one-off validations . In Bahrain, I was hired with a UK ATPL. Aircraft were registered in Oman. So, got an Omani Licence in the post. Didn't have to do or say anything. GF medical required and validated, medically, the Omani licence. I kept my UK ATP current & everytime I went for a Omani medical, I renewed my UK CAA medical at the same time as the Bahraini Dr was a UK AME too.

When Bahrain took control and the Bahrain CAA became the Regulatory Authority, we all got Bahrain CAA ATPs in the post. I do not recall having to do or say anything except get my mugshot re-taken. BCAA ATP dropped in the post. GF did everything very efficiently, for a change. Everytime I went for medical renewal (BCAA AME,) I , again, renewed my UK CAA medical.Paying, of course, for two medicals done at the same time.

Flew Italian Registered aircraft on a validation. Nothing required. Well, ostensibly, Italian Air Law but there seemed to be nudging and winking going on and we all would up with validations and I don't recall even having a bit of paper issued. Don't recall any medical and bailed out within six months anyway. Belgian licence, too, was just a validation on my UKCAA ATPL. Dutch were a bit more aggressive & we had to do a week long Dutch Law course with full written. I failed but the very nice bod from the dutch RLD said that he was authorised to give me an oral. I crossed my legs, agreed, answered a few very silly questions and passed. The Dutch medical was a two-day nightmare but again, "flybywire", I think you will be getting the point, a Dutch validation reqd a dutch medical.

I offer the probability that to fly a Bahrainregistered aircraft, you will need a Bahrain licence with Bahrain medical. I almost choke on my own words but solid operators like GF will almost certainly do all the plod work and make it a very straightforward affair.Hope that all helps.

Ironbutts; Wasn't Nader was it ? RIP whoever. Good bunch of guys.