PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAE Oxford Vs L3 (CTC)
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2019, 14:27
sms8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very informative post, thanks for taking the time to write it. Congratulations on getting on the course your a lucky chap If there is an easyjet course on offer at the time I’ll certainly take that into consideration, if they’d pay for it I’d bite there arm off LOL, currently there are not whether there will be next year who knows.

Originally Posted by Cadet764
I am currently training with L3 although as part of a funded cadet program so I didn't make the choice and am not having to pay for the training.

Here is my take on the school:
The training is good, instructors are very knowledgeable on the theoretical knowledge side and although the flight-side instructors can be a bit hit and miss overall they are good at what they do.
The organisational structure is good and they try and make the operational side as much like an airline as possible - I think this has positives as it prepares you for the environment in which you'll be working in. From what I've heard this isn't necessarily the case elsewhere, with a lot of other flying schools having a more 'flying-club' feel about them (which there is nothing wrong with, just different to the way L3 does it).
The other trainees, especially white-tail do seem a bit out of touch with the reality of the industry and there does seem to be a fair bit of immaturity which might frustrate you if you're a bit older with life experience. The vast majority are having their courses paid for by their parents and believe the spiel that they're given by L3 that they'll almost be guaranteed a jet job. A fair chunk are straight from A-level school leavers and some seem to treat training like their peers do first year of university which doesn't produce great results, especially for the intensity of ground school.
One thing that I feel is a negative aspect of a big integrated course is that a lot of stuff is spoon-fed to you which although it produces good results doesn't necessarily make you a well-rounded or resourceful pilot.
If you are joining as white tail have no doubts that you will be at the bottom of the pile with the way you will be treated. Many of the airlines that run cadet schemes with L3 have 'no delay' clauses in their contracts meaning that L3 will get them out on time, even if that means that a white tail cadet doesn't fly for 3 or even 4 weeks. Even easyJet and BA cadets are facing delays at the moment. Delays do seem to be getting better, from more than 6 months at one point, they seem to be down to between 1 and 3 months, not sure if this is a result of a smaller intake of cadets or due to L3s opening of new branches (Portugal and Cranfield).

If I was in your position I would try my hardest to get into one of the tagged airline courses (in my opinion easyJet is the best one going at the moment), the selection process is not particularly difficult and with enough preparation should be easily doable. That way at least you have a high chance of graduating with a job that will be able to pay off your training as soon as possible.
Going white tail with any of the big 3, L3, FTE or CAE will most likely give you a higher chance of getting an airline job at the end than modular, but beware the drawbacks.