PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The F28-1000 operated its first RPT service in Australia 50 years ago today
Old 10th Sep 2019, 06:33
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ad-astra
"Buddy Starts" were used quite regularly in Air Niugini up until the death throes of the type.
I have tried explaining the procedure to my current compatriots and their eyes just glazed over.
More regularly was setting forth on a 6 sector day around the islands with an unserviceable APU and the fun of 'hot refueling' at every stop.
No wonder we were thirsty at the end of the day.
9000 hours on the F-28 and only wish I could turn the clock back for a few more!
F-28 1000/3000/4000 didn't matter, it just wanted to be flown fast.
PNG and an F-28 were a perfect pair.
Buddy Starts are not the sole province of the F28. The C130 has had a "Buddy Start" procedure throughout its various model lives. Positioning the prop blades on the inoperative starter engine and having a "Buddy" C130 parked in front run up to a power setting high enough to get the propeller on the "sick starter" engine rotating to provide a start. Also used a "Windmill Taxi Start" procedure if no "Buddy" around. Practised it a few times at RAAF Richmond, 7000' runway length. A bit hairy, but worked.